Ketone diet (ketone) is a diet that contains only low-carbohydrate foods, moderate amounts of protein and high-fat foods.
Weight loss in this way is optimal for people who are serious about sports, but even if a person just wants to get rid of extra pounds, it will help him to avoid weakness, apathy and drowsiness.
Interestingly, such a diet is allowed even with a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, although this disease is a contraindication to any other restricted menu.
The essence of the keto diet: the body reaches a state called ketosis, the evolutionary meaning of which is to live in a state of carbohydrate deficiency. For those who want to lose weight, this is a chance to reduce body fat, dehydrate and find a beautiful relaxing body.
Basic principles of diet
The diet got its name only from the ketone bodies formed in the human body under certain conditions. These organs are the result of liposis, the process by which fat cells enter the bloodstream. There they are actively used as a source of energy, because very little carbohydrates enter the body through food.
The basic principle of the keto diet is to create a calorie deficit by restricting or eliminating carbohydrate foods from the menu. Proteins and fats will partially replace the energy source, but will not be clearly enough for the normal and stable life of the whole organism, so fat deposits will be used.
The difference between the keto diet and other diets for weight loss is that the menu is rich in vegetable oils, not animals, which are enriched with many unsaturated acids.
Advantages and disadvantages of the keto diet
Considered dietary food has the following advantages:
- weight loss occurs quickly and effectively - not the fluid that leaves the body, but fat after digestion;
- to get rid of fat accumulations, a person is able to maintain the elasticity and strength of muscle tissue;
- feeling hungry and no desire to eat anything harmful, which has a positive effect on the state of psycho-emotional background;
- no need to count calories.
The keto diet is not unique and therefore has some disadvantages:
- can not be observed for a long time, because against the background of the practical absence of carbohydrates, excessive intake of proteins and fats in the body will cause problems in the functioning of internal organs and systems;
- There is a lack of vitamins and fiber during weight loss. Things that can cause disorders of the intestines and immune system;
- Carbohydrate deficiency has a negative effect on a person's mental abilities, so the keto diet is not recommended for people who, by the nature of the profession, are forced to engage in mental work constantly and intensively.
In addition, when following a keto diet, a person who loses weight may experience increased drowsiness, rapid fatigue, apathy - in this case, the activity can "sink".
In fact, there are several of them:
- inflammatory, infectious kidney diseases and the presence of stones in the pelvis and calyx of this paired organ;
- problems with liver function - for example, already progressive hepatosis (a pathological condition in which organ cells are surrounded by fat cells);
- twisting or bending of the gallbladder, stones inside, blocked bile ducts;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- inadequate reaction of the body to animal protein.
The author of the weight loss method himself recommends that you be examined by a therapist or consult your family doctor before following the keto diet. It is possible that the body develops latent pathologies, which may be a contraindication to such weight loss.
White and Black List Products
Yes, carbohydrates should be completely eliminated from the diet of weight loss people, but it is worth remembering only two lists so as not to look for information about the composition of a particular meal before each meal.
The white list that is allowed to use in the keto diet for the entire period of weight loss:
- any meat, including pork, but low in fat / fat;
- chicken and quail eggs;
- oily fish (salmon, tuna, salmon, herring, etc. ) and all seafood;
- whole milk, but with a small amount of fat - a maximum of 1. 5%;
- any nuts, including hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds;
- orange and green apples, rarely grapefruit;
- a small amount of fresh vegetables, but less starch, i. e. potatoes, corn and all legumes are excluded;
- low-fat and fermented dairy products with no added flavors or colors.
In principle, such an extensive list of "white" products allows you to create a completely different and satisfying menu for each day. But you need to understand which products are strictly prohibited:
- potatoes and absolutely whole grains;
- chocolate and bananas;
- pastries (with and without butter) and grapes;
- bread and sugar.
When designing a menu to lose weight, you should take into account one caveat - you can consume carbohydrates per day, but not more than 50 g.
Adaptation of men and women to the new diet
A distinctive feature of the keto diet is a fairly long period of adaptation of the body to a new diet. And, as a rule, it lasts at least a week for men and at least 5 days for women. The easiest days to adapt are 1 and 2, during which the body consumes the carbohydrates that enter it before losing weight to get the necessary amount of energy.
The most difficult days are considered to be 3-5: there are no more carbohydrate reserves, so the processing of proteins into glucose begins. Because the body has not yet adapted, it may begin to receive protein from muscle tissue, resulting in weight loss and weakness and even muscle pain.
The whole keto diet lasts a maximum of 3 weeks, and the most difficult is to endure the first 7 days, because already on the 8th day the body's function will be fully restored, the process of fat burning will begin.
Sample menu for a week
It is worth learning a sample for at least a day, as a fairly diverse menu can be prepared from the permitted products:
- morning - omelet with three chicken eggs with cream or omelet + 2 toast with cheese + ½ grapefruit + unsweetened tea;
- dinner - boiled chicken breast arugula or Caesar salad without croutons and sauce + coffee without sugar;
- evening - trout cooked with onions or dill + mineral water.
Among the main dishes in the keto diet, you can use nuts, cottage cheese, kefir, natural yogurt in snacks.
Keto diet recipes
You can prepare delicious and suitable salads:
- boiled shrimp + arugula + boiled egg + a few drops of olive oil with lemon;
- tomato + cucumber + soft cheese (for example, Adygean cheese) + vegetable oil;
- shrimp, mussels, octopus and squid are boiled and fried in oil + sprinkled with apple cider vinegar.
If we talk about hot dishes, the following are suitable for the keto diet:
- Fish cooked in foil - it can be salmon, trout or mackerel. Only salt is added to it with dill greens, a few slices of lemon and ground pepper.
- Fried meat with onions and dill - everything is folded into a frying pan / mold, poured with heavy cream and baked in the oven or in the oven for an hour. It would be advisable to give fresh cucumber or arugula leaves with this dish.
- You can make casserole with cottage cheese and eggs, or you can make a fluffy omelet in the oven. In the first case, mix 5 eggs with 1 kg of cottage cheese, put in a mold and pour everything with sour cream, cook on medium heat for 20 - 30 minutes. And the omelet is easier to prepare: you need to beat eggs and milk in equal amounts, salt and pour into a mold. After 15 minutes in the oven, the mixture will be ready for a hot meal for lunch or dinner.
Weight loss will be "spectacular"! According to those who have already lost weight on a keto diet, it is possible to lose 7-12 kg in 3 weeks. In this case, the muscles do not suffer and the figure becomes tense and slender. The only thing required to achieve such an effect is to strictly follow the rules of the method designed for weight loss and sports.
The keto diet is considered to be very aggressive and difficult for the body, so in the presence of chronic pathologies can not be carried out without first consulting a therapist or consulting a doctor. Such a course of weight loss is carried out no more than once in six months, and you should leave the diet very carefully - add 30 g of carbohydrates per day.
Losing weight with a carbohydrate-free diet (keto) will definitely work, but only if you take a responsible approach to the preparation of your body and follow the recommendations on the menu. Exercising will help support the muscles and prevent them from weakening.